The Education Department offers one, two, and three day courses in communities across the country. All courses are facilitated by trained Unifor members (Discussion Leaders or "DLs").
These classes are designed specifically to bring education to members close to where they live and work, right in their communities. This makes it easier for members to attend and reduces costs for local unions.
Area Schools operate on a 50/50 cost share, however, travel outside of a members home community is not covered by the National Area School Program. We understand that special circumstances arise. In this case, a Local President can reach out to the department, in advance to registration for pre-approval. Please carefully read the 2024 Guidelines for Local Union Reimbursement for Area Schools & Online Education for all financial details.
To register a member for a course, send an email to @email (Subject Line: Course Name, Course Date, Course Location) with the following information (members cannot be registered if partial information is provided):
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email (Individual and unique email mandatory for each member)
- Local Number
- Mobile Phone
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
In-Person Area School Winter/Spring 2024 Schedule
The Winter/Spring 2024 Area School can be found here:
Registration for each location will be on a first come first serve basis with a minimum of 15 members and a maximum of 24 members per course.
Area School Local Union Requests
- We operate by Local Union Request (LUR) on a first come first serve basis with 6-8 weeks notice
- 15 participants minimum, 24 participants maximum, per class
- Full list of participants (registration) is required seven days prior to the class. An excel sheet is provided by us for this purpose
- Course Descriptions & Duration can be found here.
- Local unions please contact us with the request form completed to set a course up (@email)
- Download "2024 Guidelines for Local Union Reimbursement for Area Schools & Online Education". This explains the reimbursement process in detail and what is needed to get the 50/50 reimbursement.
- We are always happy to work with locals to deal with all needs to provide your members education. Please just reach out.