Unifor has launched a hub for member information about the pandemic at unifor.org/COVID19 and encourages members to check the site regularly for updates.
The Unifor Health, Safety and Environment department is responsible for the content of health and safety training programs, campaigns for better laws and enforcement, provides information on workplace substances and programs to eliminate and control hazardous workplace conditions.
Repetitive Strain Injury Day
Repetitive Strain Injury Day this year falls on February 28, a day to mark the importance of proper workspaces and ergonomic equipment. With many people working from home due to the pandemic, the issue has taken on a new dimension in 2021.
Please read this year’s statement on Repetitive Strain Injury Day, and check out the factsheets on preventing RSI:
- Unifor RSI Day Statement 2021
- Protecting your back
- Protecting your hands, wrists and arms
- Protecting your shoulders
- Protecting your feet
- Working on your feet
April 28 National Day of Mourning
This is our 36th year of observing April 28 as the National Day of Mourning to remember and honour those workers who have died or who have been injured on the job.
As we reflect on the importance of the day, the union will also pause to remember two Unifor members who lost their lives at work since last year’s Day of Mourning:
- John Iles | Local 222 Canada Cartage | December 23, 2019.
- Mohammed Hasan Bhai | Local 40 HBC Logistics | February 12, 2020
Bud Jimmerfield Award
The deadline to nominate a member for the Bud Jimmerfield award is Friday, March 29, 2019. The recipient must demonstrate strong leadership and a proven commitment to prevent future occupational diseases, deaths, and injuries, be a current Unifor member and be nominated by their Local union leadership or Local unit/workplace leadership.
GE Canada Advisory Committee Report
Executive summary of the report click here
Full report click here
To read Unifor’s media release regarding the report click here
- Accident and Incident Investigation
- Climate Change and Our Jobs
- Environment Workplace
- Environment Community
- Introduction to Ergonomics
- Health and Safety (one week course)
- Health and Safety 101
- Health and Safety for Federal workers
- Health and Safety for Provincial workers
- Health and Safety for Women
- Stress - the Workplace Hazard
- Toxic Substances in the Workplace
- Workplace Bullying - an Occupational Hazard
Materials and publications