October 4 is a day to honour murdered and missing Indigenous women, girls and two-spirited persons (MMIWG2S) while showing love and support for their families.
Unifor stands united with the families of MMIWG2S and calls on the Trudeau government to place the implementation of the Calls for Justice of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls at the top of the legislative agenda.
The Inquiry Commissioners produced a comprehensive set of 231 Calls for Justice to be acted upon based on the meaningful inclusion of Indigenous advocates and organizations. Immediate and wide-ranging action is needed to stop the cycle of violence and genocide that was founded from the beginning of colonialism in Canada and perpetuated by successive governments and institutions.
The final report gives all Canadians the roadmap for stopping this violence: it is our job to listen and to act. We must demand more from our elected officials and they must understand there is no time to waste.
Actions and events
Here are ways that you can stand united with the families of murdered and missing Indigenous women, girls and two-spirited persons and create change to stop the violence:
- Click here to contact your Member of Parliament and demand they be a vocal supporter of a stronger national plan to eliminate violence against Indigenous women, girls, and two-spirited persons.
- Circulate the Unifor social media shareable with hashtags #WhyWeWearRed #MMIWG2S #NoMoreStolenSisters #NotInvisible #SISVigils
- Sisters In Spirit Vigil: On October 4 at 2 p.m. Eastern, participate in the Native Women’s Association of Canada’s (NWAC) live streamed national vigil. The webcast will be streamed from https://www.facebook.com/NWAC.AFAC
- For other Sisters in Spirit community vigils/events for commemorative activities either live or online, check https://www.nwac.ca/event/sisters-in-spirit-virtual-vigil/ for all registered events across the country leading up to October 4.
- Follow NWAC on Twitter and Facebook and repost their updates.