Every year, we observe the 16 days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence with December 6 marking the final day - The National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women.
Here is a list of some events happening in recognition of December 6. If you are hosting another event, or know of events happening in your community, please send all the details to @email .
- Battered Women's Support Service (BWSS) - will launch their community-based research report Colour of Violence: Race, Gender & Anti-Violence Services with a webinar and an in-person community gathering.
- Public Service Alliance of Canada Victoria Regional Women's Committee - Candlelight vigil at Holland Point Park
When: Tuesday, December 6 at 5:00 p.m.
Where: Holland Point Park, Victoria
- University of Victoria - Walk to End Gender-Based Violence
When: Tuesday, December 6, 11:00 a.m.
Where: Petch Fountain, in front of McPherson Library
- Unifor Local 222 Women's Committee - Hosting a candlelight vigil
When: Tuesday, December 6, Doors open at 6:00 p.m., Vigil begins at 6:30 p.m.
Where: Unifor Local 222 Union Hall, 1452 Phillip Murray Ave, Oshawa, ON
Attendees are asked to bring a non-perishable food item for donation
- Unifor Local 1285 Women's Committee - Memorial walk commemorating all victims of gender based violence. The walk will be followed by light refreshments, presentations by the Women's Committee and guest speaker Lana Payne.
When: Tuesday, December 6, 6:00 p.m.
Where: Brampton City Hall, 2 Wellington St W, Brampton, ON. Meet at the "Young Canada" sculpture.
- Unifor Local 199 Women's Committee - A candlelight vigil with guest speaker from Women's Place of South Niagara. Donations of NEW women's pyjamas for Woman's Place will be gratefully accepted.
When: Tuesday, December 6, 7:00 p.m - 8:30 p.m.
Where: Local 199 Union Hall, 124 Bunting Rd, St. Catherines
- Unifor Local 444 - A quiet vigil in remembrance of MaryLou, Lori Dupont and the victims of the Montreal Massacre
When: Tuesday, December 6, 11:06 a.m.
Where: Windsor Assembly Plant at MaryLou's Memorial Stone (corner of Ypres Ave and Chrysler Centre.)
- Charlotte County Abuse Prevention Network - Hosting a candle lighting and moments of silence to honour victims of the Montreal Massacre, Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women and others lost to gender based violence.
When: Tuesday, December 6, 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. (AST)
Where: Wesley United Church, 77 Williams St, Saint Andrews, NB
- University of New Brunswick - December 6th Memorial Service followed by a vigil walk.
When: Tuesday, Dec 6, 7:00 p.m. (AST)
Where: UNB Saint John, Ganong Hall Lecture Theatre
- Moncton & District Labour Council - Holding a candlelight vigil and laying of roses Caseley Park in Riverview. Donation's of personal care items for women will be gratefully accpeted.
When: Tuesday, December 6, 6:30 p.m. (AST)
Where: Caseley Park, Riverview, NB (Behind Riverview Town Hall)
- Every Woman's Centre, Sydney, NS - Holding a vigil to remember victims of the Montreal Massacre, as well as all victims of domestic violence in Cape Breton. Guest Speaker: Dorothy Halliday, Director - Community Cares Youth Outreach. Musical Guest: Yvette Rogers. This vigil will be live streamed on Every Woman's Centre's Facebook page.
When: Tuesday, December 6, 7:00 p.m. (AST)
Where: 21 Trinity Ave, Sydney, NS