Our public health care system is facing a grave threat, and the time to act is now.
Unifor National is standing in solidarity with the Ontario Health Care Coalition to organize major protests, strategically timed to coincide with the opening day of the fall session of the Ontario Legislature.
This is a critical moment for us to raise our voices and defend the integrity of our health care system.
Date: Monday, September 25, 2023
Time: 12:00 p.m.
Where: Protests are scheduled at four different locations across the province:
- Toronto: Queens Park, Toronto, (Outside legislative building)
- Thunder Bay: Mini Queen's Park on South James St.
- Dryden: Gather outside MPP Greg Rickford's office at 11:30 a.m. CST (Dryden time).
- Algoma: Unite outside the Sault Area Hospital on Lukenda Dr.
We urge you to participate in the protest nearest to you. Your presence will make a difference.
RSVP your attendance for September 25.
Your commitment is crucial as we strive to build a massive demonstration on the Legislature's opening day, sending a clear message to the Ford government against the privatization of our public hospitals.
In our collective effort, Unifor is collaborating with participating union Local Unions to co-fund buses on a 50/50 cost-sharing basis, including providing bus lunches.
We encourage all Local Unions to mobilize their members and join us at the rallies. If you'd like to secure a seat on one of these buses, please sign up here.
The Ford government's actions are jeopardizing our public health care:
- They're privatizing our public hospitals, allowing for-profit hospitals and clinics to take precedence.
- For-profit clinics are charging patients exorbitant fees, placing financial burdens on those seeking medical care.
- Small and local hospital emergency departments and urgent care facilities are being shut down.
- Despite a $1.7 billion underspend in the health budget, our dedicated healthcare professionals are left without adequate resources.
- Valuable public funds are being diverted towards the privatization of nurses and hospital services.
- The worst for-profit long-term care corporations are being rewarded with extended contracts and major expansions.
This is a fight for the heart and soul of our health care system. We cannot stand idly by as the very foundation of our well-being is threatened. Join us on September 25 and let your voice be heard. Together, we can halt the privatization of our hospitals and ensure access to quality care for all.
Let's make history together.
RSVP now and share the message of this rally with your friends, family, and colleagues.