Unifor Durham College foodservice workers ratify contract, ending strike

Main Image
Local 462 bargaining committee members.

Roughly 90 Durham College foodservice workers who have been on the picket line since Nov. 28, 2022, in Oshawa, Ont., ratified a new deal with their employer, Compass Group Canada, ending the week-long strike.

“I know the bargaining committee worked hard to get a fair deal for our members, secure significant wage gains and put an end to the strike,” said Unifor National President Lana Payne. “The foodservice workers represented by Local 462 inspired Unifor activists from across the country and received the support of our national union, Ontario Regional Council and locals. Congratulations on this newly ratified contract!”

Local 462 members ratified the new three-year agreement on Dec. 4.

Two days before, at Unifor’s Ontario Regional Council, local unions from across the province and the Council executive pledged strike support for the members, who work in general help and cook and lead hand positions at Tim Hortons and Starbucks locations on campus. 

The contract is retroactive to Dec. 6, 2021 – when the extension of the previous contract ended – to Dec. 6, 2024.

The members went on strike, fighting for increased pay, improved health benefits – particularly dental coverage – and paid sick days.

Among the gains are a 5% retroactive wage bump, combined with 6% upon ratification, for a total of 11% this year and 2.5% in June 2023 and 2.5% in Dec. 2023.

The company agreed to include major restorative dental benefits in the new contract, as well as three paid sick days.

“We are so grateful for the support we received from everyone,” said Unifor Local 462 President Andrew Kellman.

“The members were greatly appreciative of the union backing them. Some of them were quite overwhelmed with the amount of support. And they’re relieved they won’t be out on a picket line over Christmas. Congratulations, Karen Garrow, retiring Unit Chair, new Unit Chair Stratton Findlay and bargaining committee member Sterling Findlay.”