TORONTO–Unifor school bus driver members have achieved wage gains and improved guaranteed hours in a new three-year collective agreement with Stock Transportation.
“This new contract addresses key priorities for our drivers, including wages, paid time for pre and post trip duties and fairer scheduling,” said Unifor Ontario Regional Director Naureen Rizvi.
The 500 members of Local 4268, who predominantly provide transportation services for special needs students in the Toronto area, voted to ratify the new contract on May 10, 2022.
The collective agreement includes:
- Wage increases each year (4%; 3%; 3.5%)
- Minimum daily guarantee changed to reflect 3.5 hours driving and .5 hour for pre and post trip duties, which will address inequities in pay for drivers of longer routes.
- Pay for COVID disinfection time
- Process to ensure Driver Trainers are scheduled fairly and by rotation
- Timely process for the correction of payroll errors
- Improved language on grievance procedure, discipline and management rights
- Improved procedures for reporting safety issues with students, issue resolution and driver safety.
- Better washroom access
- Detailed Women’s Advocate language
- The creation of a Racial Justice Advocate
“School bus drivers often face precarious working conditions with a high turnover rate,” said Unifor Local 4268 President Debbie Montgomery. “This contract builds on what we believe is currently the leading contract for school bus drivers in the GTA and helps to provide greater stability for these drivers in terms of guaranteed wages and working conditions.”
Unifor is Canada's largest union in the private sector and represents 315,000 workers in every major area of the economy. The union advocates for all working people and their rights, fights for equality and social justice in Canada and abroad, and strives to create progressive change for a better future.
For media inquiries or to arrange a Skype, Zoom or FaceTime interview please contact Unifor Communications Representative Kathleen O’Keefe at @email or 416-896-3303 (cell).