TORONTO- More than 1,800 Unifor members, including nearly 1,000 voting delegates, from across the country arrive in Toronto this weekend before Monday’s start to the union’s 4th Constitutional Convention, where delegates will elect a new National President and vote on key priorities and initiatives.
Accredited media only are invited to attend for portions of the Convention. Media must register in advance by contacting @email and check in at the Registration Desk at the Toronto Convention Centre.
WHEN: August 8-12, 2022
WHERE: Toronto Convention Centre, 255 Front St West
Highlights from the week’s agenda include:
Tuesday, August 9
- 15:35 Warehouse Workers Unite presentation with Mostafa Henaway, Community Organizer, and Derrick Palmer, Amazon Labor Union
Wednesday, August 10:
- 09:05 Journalists for Human Rights and support for Afghan Media Workers
- 09:30 Unifor’s Nelson Mandela Award, presented by Siyabulela Mandela (grandson of Nelson Mandela)
- 13:35 Election of National President, Secretary-Treasurer, Regional Directors
Thursday, August 11:
- 11:00 Guest Speaker - Seamus O’Regan, Minister of Labour
- 12:30 Auto Policy Launch via Zoom with newly-elected National President
All agenda times are subject to change. The announcement of the final election results will be published live on the Unifor Twitter account. Media availability with the new National President will be arranged following the election. Please send all requests to @email.
For live updates follow the hashtag #UniforTogether on Twitter or @UnifortheUnion.
Unifor is Canada's largest union in the private sector, representing 315,000 workers in every major area of the economy. The union advocates for all working people and their rights, fights for equality and social justice in Canada and abroad, and strives to create progressive change for a better future.
For media inquiries, or to arrange interviews via Skype or FaceTime, contact: Unifor National Communications Representative Shelley Amyotte @email or 902-717-7491