As part of the national anti-racism campaign, Unifor councils led by regional directors Linda McNeil and Gavin McGarrigle donated more than $10,000 to Indigenous organizations across seven provinces.
“Community partnerships are at the core of Unifor’s anti-racism work,” said Leanne Marsh, BC Regional Council Chair. “It is critical that we support the work done by frontline community groups.”
Donations will be forthcoming to the following organizations:
- Under One Sky Friendship Centre and Head Start Program (Fredericton, NB)
- People of the Dawn Indigenous Friendship Centre (Saint George’s, NL)
- First Light Native Friendship Centre (S. John’s, NL)
- Mi’kmaw Native Friendship Centre (Halifax, NS)
- Newo Yotina Friendship Centre (Regina, SK)
- Indian and Metis Friendship Centre (Saskatoon, SK)
- Canadian Native Friendship Centre (Edmonton, AB)
- Mama Bears (Winnipeg, MB)
- Aboriginal Friendship Center Society (Vancouver, BC)
Unifor’s campaign seeks to redefine public safety and calls for comprehensive reforms to Canadian institutions that allow, support, or excuse systemic racism.