94.4% of Unifor Local 1044 at Cummins ULC Canada in the Quebec City area accepted the agreement in principle presented by the bargaining committee.
The 35 members in this unit are mechanics, certified inspectors, service men on the road, and parts clerks. They are assigned to the repair and maintenance of various types of Cummins engines.
This agreement contains improvements to the working conditions like:
- An increase in the allowance for safety shoes to $325;
- The possibility of accumulating the $600 tool allowance over two years to purchase more expensive equipment;
- Ten days of sick leave, and two days that can be taken for personal reasons;
- Improvement of the holiday program;
- Establishment of a new and optional group insurance plan that offers three different plans covering short-term disability, long-term disability, and dental care, among others
It should be noted that all bonuses for sick days, vacation, group insurance, and pension plan are part of a comprehensive plan by Cummins ULC Canada. The employment contract is for a period of three years and provides annual increases of 2% and a signing bonus of $250.