COVID-19 has changed how we meet, bargain and do the work of the union and there are many ways to improve how we communicate online. Whether it is bargaining with an employer, a local executive meeting or a live streamed virtual rally, it is important to have our voices clearly heard and understood. Here are some tips to improve the quality of your next Zoom, Webex, or Team Meeting by arranging good lighting, sound and framing.
- Position yourself facing a window or other light source such as a lamp
- Raise your device so you are not shooting up at your ceiling. (box or milk crate)
- Frame yourself so you are not too far away so you will be easily understood
- Use headphones with a built-in mic and turn off TV, radio and fans.
- Mute yourself when not speaking. On Zoom Alt+M (Windows) Cmd+Ctrl+M (Mac)
- For best quality, use ethernet cable to connect to internet
- Turn your video on when you are speaking or presenting
- Use a virtual background by downloading one here to protect your privacy
Above are good example of effective framing and lighting.
These tips on lighting, framing and sound also apply if you are asked to do media interviews via Zoom, Facetime or Skype.
You can read more about best practices for effectively using video to communicate in meetings or webinar platforms here.