Bargaining Update #1
As you are aware, we are set to enter into negotiations to renew our collective agreements across the Detroit 3. We will provide regular updates to you as the bargaining process unfolds over the coming months.
This initial communication provides answers to many of the questions we have been receiving on the shop floor. Please be sure to visit www.unifor.org/autotalks2020 for regular updates.
Which Collective Agreements are up for renegotiation this year?
Unifor represents members at various facilities in the Detroit 3, from assembly plants to office units. The expiration of these agreements happens at the same time, allowing us to coordinate negotiations and establish what is commonly referred to as the “pattern”.
This year, the following agreements will be up for renegotiation:
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA)
- Master Agreement – National Union and Locals 444, 1285 and 1459
- Security Agreement – National Union and Local 195
- Office, Clerical and Engineering Agreement – National Union and Locals 1285, 1459 and 1498
- Montreal PDC Agreement – National Union and Local 698
- Red Deer PDC Agreement – National Union and Local 815
- Mississauga PDC Agreement – National Union and Local 1285
Ford Motor Company
- Master Agreement – National Union and Locals 200, 584, 707 and 1087
- Windsor Office, Clerical and Engineering Agreement – National Union and Local 240
- Bramalea Office, Clerical and Engineering Agreement – National Union and Local 1324
- Master Agreement – National Union and Locals 199, 222 and 636
Tentative timeline and important dates
Dates and timelines for bargaining remain uncertain, due to various government restrictions related to the COVID-19 crisis. As we confirm further dates for key meetings, we will share information with members. For now, the following are some notable dates to bookmark:
- June 29, 2020 – Unifor will serve each Company a formal “notice to bargain” letter
- August 12, 2020 – Formal opening of negotiations (Ford, FCA and GM)
- September 8, 2020 – Day after Labour Day. Traditionally this is the day Unifor announces the Company being selected to establish the pattern agreement. This Company is commonly referred to as the “strike target”
- September 21, 2020 – Expiration of current Collective Agreements
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused municipal, provincial and federal governments and health authorities to enact certain restrictions and measures in an effort to contain the virus. This creates some challenges for the process of collective bargaining. At this stage, we are in continual dialogue with the Detroit 3 about the most appropriate manner to conduct negotiations. In addition, we are exploring various options for conducting required meetings (eg. strike and ratification votes) in a manner that complies with government and health authority mandates.
Local and National bargaining committees are continuing to compile and organize contract proposals for our August 12 opening.
Unifor National Research and Pension & Benefits departments are developing information and backgrounders (briefing notes) for Union negotiating committees. In addition, they will be reviewing and analysing a variety of data we requested from each Company in order for us to prepare for bargaining. There is a legal requirement for each Company to disclose non- proprietary information to the union in an effort to support meaningful discussions and good faith bargaining.
Finally, the National and Local unions plan to bring together our National and Local leadership to conduct our pre-bargaining Unifor Auto Industry Council meeting. Whether in person, or virtually (if we cannot conduct an “in person” meeting), it is our intent to hold this important meeting sometime before August 12. More information will be circulated to Locals over the coming weeks.
Members who have questions about any of the content on this site can email us at email@example.com. All other collective bargaining questions should be first directed to your appropriate local union representative.