Unifor Submission to the Standing Committee of Finance and Economic Affairs
Unifor joins with the Ontario Federation of Labour in bringing forward important amendments to improve Bill 148. Along with other affiliated unions, Unifor worked to carefully review the proposed legislation and develop the Ontario Federation of Labour’s comprehensive amendments to both the ESA and LRA. Reflecting the composition of our membership, and priority issues for our union, the following submission focuses on issues and examples of specific relevance and importance to Unifor, including:
- Extending card-based certification to all sectors: the example of retail
- Extending successorship rights to all contracted services: the example of school bus services
- Extending broader based collective bargaining structures
- Establishing a designated paid leave for survivors of domestic and/or sexual violence
- Protecting injured workers from unintended consequences of higher minimum wages
We are calling on the government to deepen its commitment to the people of Ontario by improving the Fair Workplace, Better Jobs Act so that it truly raises the floor for all Ontario workers and creates lasting conditions for decent work. Let this be an important moment in Ontario’s history.